Homo Fabula

Synaptic Misfirings of an unpublished author

Sunday, July 02, 2006

On Reading and Coffee

I'm re-reading the Earthsea Quartet by Ursula Leguin at the moment. I say 're-reading', but it's really more like the first time - the last time I read it was so long ago that it's more like a half-remembered dream than a remembered story. I keep coming upon passages that I remember, but don't remember having read, that I thought products of my own imagination, or of an alien one that I am convinced squats within my skull.


Here's a passage I wropte in my Moleskine not long ago. 

It's amazing how much of an impact a simple taste can have.
Right now I'm sitting in a coffee shop with a cappucino laced with a cinnamon shot. The cinnamon reminds me of so many things.
On a surface level it reminds me of Dune. Botht eh book and the film dripped so heavily in storytelling and atmosphere that you could practically taste the cinnamon texture that the spice of Arrakis possessed. And it reminds me of more, of a breakfast cereal many, many years ago that my father was fond of (he probably still is if we can find any of it). It was shaped like Nestle Shreddies [LINKY], but covered with an orange, cinnamon-y powder. I remember not liking it, and I also remember he didn;t mind. More for him, after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home